Monday 8 February 2016

On Quality, Whisky, Time, and Being a Connoisseur

Have a look at these videos:




This is somebody who cares deeply about whisky and wants it, more than anything else, to be good. Somebody who appreciates quality and does not care about being labelled as snobbish or elitist as a result - because life is glorious and important and must be made the most of. I like this. I like listening to somebody talk in a passionate and informed way about a topic. I happen to like whisky, but I think I would enjoy listening to these videos even if it was about a topic I knew nothing about - like, I dunno, dressage.

One of the big victories of the move towards DIY D&D is that it allows people to be connoisseurs of games. I don't mean that in a poncey or precious way. I simply mean that there is so much stuff being produced, written, and tried, and so much experience to draw from, that it is possible to discuss and think about games carefully and in detail in a way that was never possible before. To put it in a slightly poncey or precious way - it is now possible to savour them.

There is nothing wrong with savouring things. As Ralfy says at some point, there's a lot of pressure in life not to think. There are too many distractions and stresses and other things to do. But stopping to think about what you are doing, have done, and would like to do, is of crucial importance in really properly enjoying life. If you don't stop to think things over, you're living life like a fly - darting from one thing to another, pursuing sensations and experiences for the sake of them, and probably being almost as satisfied scoffing dog turd as a fine pate as a result. That's no good at all, and certainly not what we humans are here for. So here's to having a good wee dram of whisky, rum, armagnac or whatever's your poison, and thinking carefully and slowly about gaming materials that have been, gaming materials that you are creating, and games that have been played or are yet to be.

10 comments:

  1. I like this guy... thanks for the tip!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome. Knows his whisky, and other drinks too.

      Delete
  2. Fun stuff. I've been sniffing around for a nice go-to bourbon recently--I'll have to see if he's looked at any. I enjoy scotch too, but my sense is that you get a lot more bang for your buck with bourbon in the US. Probably the opposite in the UK.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, he does reviews of all kinds of whisky, as well as the occasional rum, gin, etc.

      Delete
    2. Scottish single malts are getting absurdly expensive because drinking it is increasingly seen, all around the world, as a sign of good taste. Demand for it has probably never been higher. I suspect decent bourbons are also cheaper over here - you can get some pretty nice small batch stuff for cheaper than your introductory single malt. I actually like Irish and American whiskey just as much as Scottish, though I like rye more than bourbon.

      Delete
    3. Four Roses Yellow is probably the best bourbon for the price, according to my professional distiller and craft cocktail expert friend. You can do better, but you can't do better at this price. Go-to indeed.

      Delete
    4. I have had Four Roses Yellow Label, and it is nice, but I prefer the spicier/pepperier Bulleit Bourbon. It's a little bit pricier but I think worth it.

      Delete
  3. Curiously, dressage is something I have a better passing acquaintance with than whiskeys, since my mother taught dressage and hunt seat when I was a teen.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Have you read David Mamet's essay about a scotch tasting society? Apropos. And a gorgeous piece of writing.

    ReplyDelete