Monday 22 May 2017

BECMI: Goldilocks D&D



BECMI is my favourite version of D&D. Even when I'm playing other versions, I tend to think of things in Classic D&D terms and resort to its surprise rules, combat order, reaction dice, etc. 

What is it about those sets? The easy answer is that they are "just right". Not too simple but not too complicated; not too serious but not too frivolous; not too disorganised but not soul-less or lacking in character; being "all things to all men" while not being too bland. 

But that may be over-thinking it. Ultimately, it's not for any discernible rational reason that I prefer it. It's just that of all the versions of D&D I've played, it by far and away results in the most enjoyable sessions and campaigns. Something in the tone of the ruleset and the way it is presented bleeds into the game itself, so that it's impossible not to feel its breezy, unpretentious qualities resulting in a breezy, unpretentious play experience.

It's not what you want all the time, but sometimes a nice warm bowl of porridge (with honey, natch) and a good long nap is all you need. On those occasions, it's Classic D&D all the way.

5 comments:

  1. Unpretentious is right. Conversational. Frank clearly worked very hard to make the prose sound effortless.

    I don't understand what you mean by "lone rule set" Don't all rule sets ultimately stand on their own?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you may have misread something?

      Delete
  2. I've never played this version of D&D, but I assume it is the basis for Yoon-Suin (I own a hard copy). Do you know if there is a retro-clone for this version of rules?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it's what cavalier973 suggests. It is the basis for Yoon-Suin, you're right.

      Delete
  3. I believe "Dark Dungeons" is the closest one can get--it is actually a retro-clone of the Rules Cyclopedia.

    However one can purchase pdfs of the BECMI books at dmsguild.com, just click the link for "d&d classics" on the left side of the screen.

    ReplyDelete