Monday 28 October 2013

Since Everybody Else is Doing It

I'm currently running: Nothing. I'm extremely busy lately, and in my free 'hobby' time I'm finishing off a supplement I hope to release. My final excuse is that equipment failure means I can't play in games online, and I'm too lazy to sort that out.

I would especially like to play or run: I always like to play or run traditional D&D, Pendragon and Cyberpunk 2020. Above that, I would especially like to run a game of Call of Cthulhu or Unknown Armies. I have two setting ideas for this. In one, the players are the idle rich in the 19th century in the North East of England investigating the occult. In the other, the players are 19th century colonialists in an imagined Solomon Islands-type Melanesian province, er, investigating the occult. I'd also like to run a game of Bushido.

...but I would also try: I really play essentially anything. I'm not very keen on anime, nor games set in high school. I don't find it fun to pretend to be in Buffy.

I live in: Newcastle, in England.

2 or 3 well-known RPG products other people made that I like: the Planescape boxed sets. The 2nd edition AD&D Monstrous Manual. The Great Pendragon Campaign. 

2 or 3 novels I like: The Once and Future King by TH White, the Complete Lyonesse by Jack Vance, the Complete Viriconium by M. John Harrison. I don't care that that totals about 15 books.

2 or 3 movies I like: Zodiac, Glengarry Glen Ross, Rushmore.

Best place to find me online: Here or on G+.

I will read almost anything on tabletop RPGs if it's: Stood the test of time. If it was released more than 10 years ago and people still rave about it, it must be worth reading. Otherwise I'll wait. I use that heuristic for most cultural products. 

I really do not want to hear about: How you were offended by a game being misogynistic.

I think dead orc babies are (circle one: funny / problematic / ....well, ok, it's complicated because....): potentially part of the game, but I don't want to game with people who think dead orc babies is funny.

Games I'm in are like (link to something): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6o0Co4kbRZo&noredirect=1

Free content I made for D&D is available: On this blog. Quite a lot, down the years.

If you know anything about art it would help me with a project I'm working on. I could do with lots and lots and lots of little sketches and doodles that I can insert here and there wherever there is a sizeable blank space in the Yoon-Suin.

I talk about about RPGs everywhere as "noisms". If you google "noisms" it turns out there is somebody else - an ex-soldier who occasionally posts on CiF on The Grauniad website. That's not me. 

11 comments:

  1. 1. As we've talked about before, I bloody love Glengarry Glen Ross. Hope I can persuade Kay to watch it some time soon.

    2. What restrictions/constraints do you have for Yoon Suin? Are there any technical restrictions?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The only restriction is it has to be good!

      I think Glengarry Glen Ross is very much a man's film. Is there even a woman in it? Not that you have to have a woman in a film for women to like it, but you know what I mean.

      Delete
    2. Also this is one of my all time favourite scenes in cinema: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y-AXTx4PcKI&noredirect=1

      Delete
    3. Agreed. I think a lot (rightly so) is made of Alec Baldwin, but the performances of the other actors as they just take it, the way they look at him, respond, look at the floor.

      I think there is a woman in it in the Chinese restaurant, a person working there, but I don't recall whether or not she has any lines. I think she doesn't.

      Delete
    4. The acting in that film is just phenomenal. You can tell they love the fact that they get a well-written script to deal with for a change. I can't believe Jack Lemmon didn't get an academy award of some kind for it.

      Delete
  2. I really do not want to hear about: How you were offended by a game being misogynistic. >> Excellent!

    ReplyDelete
  3. "novels I like: The Once and Future King by TH White"

    The Folio Society publish a nice edition of this Im hoping to pick up in the January sale.

    "2 or 3 movies I like: Zodiac, Glengarry Glen Ross, Rushmore."

    2 surely.

    http://www.foliosociety.com/book/OFK/once-and-future-king

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like the look of this: http://www.foliosociety.com/bookcat/9196/SIL/silmarillion

      Delete
    2. Indeed, I am tempted, particularly for the map:

      " A very special feature of this edition is the foldout map by Christopher Tolkien. Measuring 23 × 15 inches and printed in black and red, it shows Beleriand and the Lands to the North"

      Delete
  4. Eh, here are some scans of old postcards you might fight inspirational. If I hit the museum before the end of the year I'll see what I can scare up in the open collection, since that would evade copyright restrictions.
    http://gortsfriend.blogspot.com/2013/10/here-is-bit-of-inspiration-for-noisms.html

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've not seen Glengarry Glen Ross. I consider myself quite the fan of movies. It looks like I need to see Glengarry Glen Ross.

    ReplyDelete