Wednesday 28 August 2024

Top 10 Best Commercial OSR Products

[I am putting up a series of 'Top 10' posts in the lead up to my 2,000th post here at Monsters & Manuals. You can read the first post in the series here, and the second here.]

Since 2008 I have been a heady devourer of blogs, but - I will here confess to heresy and also out myself as a dilettante and ingenue - I tend not to buy a great deal of RPG books, back a lot of kickstarters, or download a lot of PDFs. This is for one simple reason: I am grumpy, stuck-up, and extremely hard to please. I am unimpressed by the things that most other people like. And as a result I only tend to buy things that I am very sure have a high likelihood of winning me over. 

With that said, there are certain products that I think of as, if not the 'essentials' (the only really essential thing is the core OD&D rules), then at least the highly recommended. These are the top 10, in no particular order - and here I should also make clear that I am limiting myself to actual commercial, for-sale things, rather than free material like, say, Philotomy's Musings

10. Misty Isle of the Eld. This is simply a great marriage of tone, art and content - a module that manages to be very playable while also creating a coherent, integrated mood and feel (in this case, roughly Flash Gordon meets David Bowie meets Michael Moorcock). It remains a high watermark in the peak of the OSR years (2016), when enthusiasm and competence had combined to maximal effect. 
9. Qelong. There are short modules whose brevity derives from laziness. There are others whose brevity derives from the author's incapacity to properly explain and elucidate. This is one which is brief because its author thought carefully about how to condense everything necessary into 48 pages. It is a finely distilled shot of RPG material, and also a beautiful example of how to make a 'high concept' module playable.
8. The original Lamentations of the Flame Princess core rules, in A5 format. I do not myself use LotFP (I exclusively use BECMI and have for years), but I recognise its original iteration to be the best that the OSR really had to offer in purely mechanical terms - and also respect the thematic coherence of its implied setting. I also loved the sheer at-the-table effectiveness of the old A5 basic rule books, which were eminently flippable and browsable - qualities that are severely underrated.
7. Pariah. As I wrote in a review long ago, 'This describes itself as "old school roleplaying when the world was young" - that's right, it is a stone age RPG, though one that is very carefully thought-out and (it seems to me at least) well-informed. Not so much 1 Million Years BC, or Stig of the Dump - more Lavondyss, the middle story of Fifth Head of Cerberus, Helliconia Spring, those novels about neanderthals whose name I forget. The PCs are exiles from their tribe(s); it has spirit realms and rituals; extensive rules for psychobotanicals; a random wilderness generation method; images of waif-like girls covered in face-paint and tattoos. I very much like it and would run it: this is high praise, because as a general rule I don't run anything written by anybody else.'
6. Punth: A Primer. Another book which I reviewed here at the blog, and of which I said, 'Punth approaches Tekumel, not in substance (although there is something of Tekumel's alien coldness in it), but in ambition. This is not a typical fantasy setting. It is an exploration of themes: the control of thought through language, the formation of state power, and the philosophy of law. If that sounds like a bit much, it is a cool ancient Near Eastern sandbox setting ruled by dictatorial multi-limbed aliens written by somebody who has really though things through. And it's a marvel of succinct, concentrated. distilled communication to boot.' It is the closest that I think the OSR-adjacent sphere has come to producing something that is actually philosophically interesting.
5. Veins of the Earth. You have almost certainly read it already. Suffice to say, it would probably be in everybody's top 10 list provided they weren't deliberately leaving it out for effect.
4. The Gardens of Ynn. This would have a strong claim on the number 1 spot if this list was an actual ranking order. Having looked at the reviews on DriveThruRPG it seems that recently a new version was created - I cannot speak to its quality, but certainly the original was a revelation: a brilliantly realised procedural-generation method with a beautiful skin wrapped around it.
3. Into the Odd. Is this an OSR product? It is certainly OSR-adjacent. I have ambivalent feelings about quite how rules-lite it is, but it is certainly the best rules-lite system that I know of, and is also probably the best not-D&D-but-still-recognisably-D&D-ish system that came out of the OSR. 
2. An Echo, Resounding. There have been more successful Crawford vehicles since, and no doubt material of higher quality, but An Echo, Resounding was truly pioneering work - Crawford went out into the Sandbox Hills with a pickaxe, shovel, and a few sticks of dynamite, and came back with jewels. Now the landscape has been picked clean and erosion has transformed it into a barren wasteland, but the valleys and chasms still echo with the sound of his footsteps, and the soil remembers him.
1. Carcosa. At the time Carcosa first came out I thought it was hubristic, and courting of controversy for the sake of it, but the fact remains that if Crawford was a pathfinder for sandbox settings, McKinney was a trailblazer for self-publication in general. Where most of us saw blogs and forums, he saw books; where most of us spewed ephemeral rants in to the ether, he created physical products for people to have and hold. Others saw the crescent, but he saw the whole of the moon - and set the pattern for everything that followed.

25 comments:

  1. Great list! But I'd have included Yoon-Suin hehe

    Also, you run BECMI over BX? Any reason why?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for that! Nothing complicated really - I'm just used to BECMI and like it for nostalgic reasons. I also like having everything in one book (the Rules Cyclopedia).

      Delete
  2. Thank you very much for the high praise. I am simply doing my small part to help mankind along to the Dune future. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll allow it since I recently declared Carcosa to be Cha'alt... but 1,000 years in the future. ;)

      Delete
  3. Punth sounds incredible. I stopped reading for a moment to go grab it, and will start reading Punth as soon as I've closed this tab.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Edmund should be encouraged to publish more.

      Delete
  4. Minor nitpick: It's Misty Isle of the Eld, not Misty Eyes of the Eld. On the bright side you included a link so it probably doesn't matter all that much.

    The Heretic

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's what one calls a brain fart. Weird that I completely failed to notice the error.

      Delete
  5. Maybe I'm getting something mixed up, but wasn't Carcosa the one that was full of really random stuff that looked like it had all come off a random set of tables without much rhyme or reason?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A lot of Geoffrey's material has that quality but I take it to be 'the point' in some sense (and Geoffrey has made a convincing case to me that there is an underlying logic behind all of his releases).

      Delete
    2. I used random tables in the creation of 2 out of my 13 books: Isle of the Unknown and Dungeon of the Unknown. All of the monsters in those two books were generated using James Raggi's Random Esoteric Monster Generator (instead of being taken from tomes of pre-made monsters such as the Monster Manual, Fiend Folio, etc.). The isle is a new and young land in which the forces of life and vitality are so strong and overwhelming that they give rise to unique entities without rhyme or reason. Only as the life-force weakens do biological classifications (species, genus, etc.) become possible as creatures start to merely copy themselves. Life falls into a rut, whereas it used to flood and overflow everything and every consideration. An inspiration for this is the world of Tormance (and especially the region of Matterplay) in David Lindsay's masterpiece, A Voyage to Arcturus.

      Delete
  6. 1 and 2 are certainly defensible. Veins? The bestiary is good but is there any question the campaign part is ramshackle, to the point Skerples had to skerple most of it? Into the Odd? A ruleslite with a cookie setting which even its practitioners only play for under ten settings? So much of this is boutique stuff and coffee table books.

    Stars Without Number above Echo Resounding and it is not close, ACKs for best game, Stonehell, Castle Xyntillian, Fight On Magazine, Echoes from Fomalhaut, Night Wolf Inn, Better Then Any Man if we are going to pick a definitive Lotfp adventure, Thulian Echoes for that matter, Lost Treasures of Atlantis and so on and so forth, worlds without end.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Did Skerples really have to 'skerple' most of it? That's not how I would have interpreted what happened.

      Delete
    2. I get that you're friends with Patrick and probably inclined to take his side just generally, but what is Skerples supposed to have done that was bad? As far as I can tell looking at the blog posts themselves, what happened was that he bought a game book, then ran a game with that book and posted about how he ran it on his blog. Did he "have" to do that? I mean, presumably not, but running games also seems to be the tacit entire reason to buy a game book, and blogging about it is hardly unusual – in fact, with different books it's the entire genesis of the OSR, isn't it? I'm not at all clear on why this is supposed to be seen differently if the book is Veins than e.g. AD&D.

      Delete
    3. I don't really want to rehash all of that now, certainly not in public, but if you're desperate you can drop me an email - noismsgames AT protonmail DOT com.

      Delete
    4. No, that isn't necessary, it was a fairly idle reflection. I just assumed you were willing to discuss it from your reply to Prince.

      Delete
  7. I too, would have included Yoon Suin as number 1.

    I am glad to see An Echo Resounding in your list. I love that product as well.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Castle X not being here surprises me. Echoes From Formalhaut surprises even more. Melan's stuff is the gold standard for me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. (Though I get that this is a subjective thing)

      Delete
    2. I have not read Castle X - bear in mind this is all caveated by the fact that I don't tend to read other people's stuff very much.

      Delete
  9. I would like to add my favorite OSR adjacent system Astonishing Sorcerers of Hyperborea - I think it really finds the sweet spot between the AD&D and B/X rules(really Holmes in this case). In general the reassessment of everything that was part of the early OSR has led to a lot of really well produced and designed gaming materials. It doesn't seem to have really spread as more conventional stuff is still either wall of usable text or even more commonly graphic heavy and content light tomes that justify a $50+ price tag on what appears to be the size of the books themselves.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Lists like this are quite interesting (I've found your blog recently and have been enjoying reading the new posts and the old). It shows a little what your focus is and what you enjoy. For example, there are no dungeons on your list at all, which implies that you don't really read them and or are not interested in them - perhaps preferring to make your own?
    Whereas for me, every part of GMing EXCEPT making up detailed locations is fun and interesting for me. Making locations I find very hard, especially making good maps, and so I read an use a lot of location based work that other people have done. My top ten, I realised reading this, would read like a top ten of OSR orientated location based adventures, with White Box Fantasy Medieval Adventure Game and maybe Stars Without Number added on at the end when I realised I had more than just dungeons, settings and adventure sites in my collection!

    It's interesting. I think a lot of discussion divides into those two groups - those who like inspiring ideas and creative seeds for themselves to run with, and those who like detailed and immediately gameable stuff like locations.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, no doubt you're right. I prefer to make my own 'in game' materials. What I want in a product is something that will inspire me or just be good to read. I use a lot of dungeons but for me a big part of the fun of D&D is designing that kind of thing.

      Delete