Thursday 8 August 2024

Top 10 Early OSR Blogs, Now Defunct

In the lead up to my 2,000th post here at Monsters & Manuals, I am writing a series of 'Top 10' posts relating broadly to the blog itself and its context. For the first of these, I'd like to do a run down of some of the blogs that were active in the era roughly from 2008-2011, when the scene really took off and was in its initial creative flowering. At that time I followed literally hundreds of blogs through Google Reader, and spent a considerable portion of each day with my finger on the pulse, ear to the ground, eye on the main chance, and nose on the, er, something. My day job at that time involved long, long hours of boring but hard work, so the OSR blogosphere was like water in the desert to me - a raging torrent of creativity and enthusiasm into which one could simply dip a ladle to drink from.

The creativity of that period has probably now been surpassed in the sense that a lot of highly imaginative material - and very mechanically innovative systematisation - has emerged subsequent to it (particularly when G+ began to take over as the central hub of OSR activity), but the enthusiasm never has been. It is with that in mind that I have made this list: these are the blogs whose joy, alongside their other merits, I found appealing. In no particular order, then, the Top 10 Early OSR Blogs, Now Defunct are:

10. Sham's Grog and Blog. Sham's blog was one of the very first OSR blogs that I encountered, and alongside producing vast swathes of useful and inspirational material (just take a look at all the links in the sidebars, for heaven's sake) also contains a real-time obituary to Gary Gygax, serving to prove that the OSR was just coalescing 'in the air', as it were, at the very moment the game's original creator died - a regrettable but extraordinary coincidence that undoubtedly had a huge influence on the development of the scene.

9. Valley of Blue Snails. When I first started getting back into RPGs in the mid-late 2000s, I had in my head the typical image of the fantasy genre that somebody of my background and history would inevitably have had - largely a melange of Tolkien, Weis & Hickman, Eddings, Goodkind, Williams, Martin (yes, I was one of the people who read Game of Thrones when first released, as volume one in A Song of Ice and Fire, purchased from my local WH Smith circa 1997 or so) and the like - with a little Moorcock, Vance or Harrison on the side. This was what 'fantasy' really meant to me, at least in the context of D&D - so the early OSR era was almost an education in itself into what fantasy literature could aspire to be. Nowadays the Valley of Blue Snails sounds almost formulaically anodyne given the extent to which boundaries have been pushed, but at that time its creative scope felt truly vast.

8. ChicagoWiz's RPG Blog, now a blasted remnant of what once was, but which still contains a list of 25 of its best posts and some collected links. It is funny how memory of internet drama deteriorates; there are gossamer-like strands of recollections of controversy revolving around ChgoWiz, but whatever that controversy was, it no longer matters - all that is left, fittingly, is useful and interesting material (although I believe the author is still out there blogging somewhere).

7. Huge Ruined Scott's various endeavours. This perhaps constitutes a cheat, or a tease, or both, because Scott Driver has long disappeared (at least to my knowledge; a fragment of a hint of his material can be found here) and had a habit of deleting his projects in fits of either pique or insouciance (or madness). If anyone does know of the existence of an archive of his material, then please do say so in the comments. He was a fabulous writer and the most imaginative creator of the lot.

6. Malevolent & Benign. Max was a fellow footsoldier in the OSR's early days - distinguished above all by his pleasantness and enthusiasm. There was a lot of that about in that era, and his blog feels somehow exemplary of the positive, no-hang-ups vibe that prevailed in those days. I have a feeling that it was the move to G+ that actually killed off a lot of these people - the action moved elsewhere, and became more frenetic and fraught. This had its benefits, but also its casualties. 

5. Land of Nod. I perhaps shouldn't include John in this list as he is still blogging (if much less frequently than at one time) at a different web address, but his old site is a marvel. At one time he was putting out posts on a more-or-less daily basis, always very focused and tight, and his efficient and imaginative hexcrawl work in particular is simply a model for what good keying consists of.

4. A Hamsterish Hoard of Dungeons & Dragons. One of the signal features of the OSR blogosphere during its early years was the sheer number of people who just put out great content, as and when they liked, for free - monsters, spells, magic items, hexmaps, and so on. This blog was among the very best of these sites, and it stood out for its distinctly fairy tale-ish, slightly anime-inflected vibe.

3. Middenmurk. No list of top OSR blogs would be complete without a mention of Middenmurk. Tom Fitzgerald did not write more than 100 posts in his entire blogging career. (Although who knows? He may resurface.) Yet each of them is a pearl. Read his work - he is a man of peculiar and considerable gifts (and did some lovely map illustrations for Yoon-Suin 2nd edition). 

2. Kellri. Kellri's blog was always interesting and enjoyable to read, but it is the huge archives of PDF downloads for which he deserves the most credit - particularly the Classic Dungeon Designer Netbooks, which were (again) produced and disseminated for free, and of immense helpfulness to any DM. It was, to repeat, the sheer joy of creativity that truly characterised those early years, and Kellri's creative output was exemplary of that mood. 

1. How to Start a Revolution in 21 Days or Less. The author of this blog was neither the most prolific, nor the most prominent, but I include it simply because, having visited it for the first time in many years in the course of writing this post, I felt a feeling of almost unbearably poignant nostalgia wash over me for that lost era of thoughtful, calm, open-minded interaction which seemed to characterise not just OSR blogs but much of the internet experience in those days. There was a time, before social media, when the internet simply seemed to be an unalloyed good - a wondrous blessing allowing in theory everybody in the world to enter into a joint enterprise of communicative bonding. That vision has been displaced by world-weariness, cynicism, and tension, but sometimes it is edifying to revisit that earlier age to be reminded of what once was, and could have been. These are the thoughts that struck me when revisiting this blog in particular (I genuinely cannot explain why) and, since the early OSR seems so redolent of the pre-social media world, it seemed fitting to include it in my list.

32 comments:

  1. Although I wasn't blogging back then, I did read all of these blogs pretty religiously starting in 2008, as my mom was dying of cancer as a sort of relief, very much like a drink of water in the desert. I had the experience you described in other ways too. Also Scott Driver's work set an example for me--he showed me how unchained the imagination can be in this hobby. It's shaped everything I've done since

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Absolutely. I was briefly in a PBP game he ran on one of his blogs and his writing if nothing else was a revelation to me.

      Delete
  2. Still around, still blogging, though 16 years has seen me quiet down and calm down quite a bit :) Thank you for the kind words, game on!

    I'm now at https://chgowiz-games.etinerra.com/wp/

    ReplyDelete
  3. A strange fact about Valley of Blue Snails is that I also think of it as a classic OSR blog of The Old Days, but he was only really active for *three months*. Who knows if he ever even ran a session of that game he was briefly writing for?

    For my money, though, the greatest of all the defunct blogs is Planet Algol. Only Huge Ruined Scott could really compete.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I did think about Planet Algol - definitely an honourable mention.

      Delete
    2. Considering the reasons listed for running the game in 2010 ("Valley of Blue Snails is a Dungeons and Dragons campaign setting. It is created for a cousin (Lt. Moree) who will soon be in Iraq.") I always worried by the blogger and Lt. Moree. I miss the blog. I sincerely hope everyone's OK.

      Delete
  4. Some memories there. For those of us who where around then, when the three letters was something of a joke, that's a list we can recognize. It was a more innocent time, and what came after I feel very disconnected from.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. More innocent and - at the risk of using a dangerous word - fun.

      Delete
  5. Huge Ruined Pile is at least partially preserved on the Wayback Machine. Look for a late 2011 snapshot for the .blogspot site, or an early 2013 snapshot for the .wordpress site.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, and also Scott's cyclopeana.wordpress one, latest working snapshot appears to be January 2019.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd even forgotten about that - thanks.

      Delete
  7. A sound selection. I started several short-lived blogs as Geordie Racer during that golden age, and loved the cross-pollination of ideas.

    ReplyDelete
  8. One criticism I have about the DYI crowd is that (most) don't seem to understand the importance of books.

    I see a lot of people in the DYI say you don't need books and that you can (wait for it) do things yourself. But books last, while blogs do not. How many times have we seem people reinvent the wheel in the blogosphere? Knowledge is lost then rediscovered in a circular fashion.

    Not to mention the orginzational and artistic aspects of books that blogs lack. So many times I had a an old blog post in my head but couldn't find it again. And how many times the text in an RPG book is enhanced by the art and layout in it.

    Most of what's been published in the blogosphere will be lost if Google simply decide to kill Blogger. But I tell you: Yoon-Suin proper and many other published works will survive much longer.

    Circling back to your post, I have never heard of 9 out 10 blogs mentioned as I only started playing D&D in 2013 (and OSR years later). It's interesting that might have influenced the scene yet I've never heard of them. The 'gameplay' of RPGs come partially from it's rules but also partially by the culture surrounding it. It's evident to anyone that the same ruleset (and same adventure) can net different results depending who you're playing with. It's also why I think certain rules trying to reign in bad-faith players or DMs are futile: RPGs recquire a decent degree of social trust to get going.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't disagree with the general point you're making. And I do worry from time to time that Google will just choose to nuke Blogger.

      You're not wrong about the play/culture point. This is why I tend to take a dim view of playtesting, actually.

      Delete
    2. I love playtesting… well, even though I’m terrible at taking criticism, so it is always a test. XD But for testing rules in particular, as well as ‘testing’ the attitudes players bring to the source material, it is so invaluable. On the other hand, really getting comfortable in a game requires playing with friends who you can be yourself around, rather than having to reinvent the wheel each time explaining the rules and learning the boundaries of each new playtest group. But it’s still so useful to test and test… it reminds me of some cooking manga where the hero chastises a rival “You may have cooked this dish 4 or 5 times, but I’ve cooked it 100 times!!” — Jason Bradley Thompson

      Delete
    3. For all that I just said, it’s 100% true that rules and guidelines can’t replace social trust! No matter in how much excruciating detail you write out how to handle some potential bad situation. - Jason Bradley Thompson

      Delete
    4. Hi Jason - yeah, I should rephrase what I said. Playtesting is definintely useful for getting a feel for whether rules work. That's for sure. But I don't think it is all that useful to test individual adventure modules, since every session and group is so different.

      Delete
    5. Yes, books are important. The internet is ephemeral. If I find a blogpost that is a keeper, I download it to my hard drive. If I really want to keep it, I print it out.

      Delete
    6. The same here.
      Mike

      Delete
  9. I had a text file of saved posts from Scott's blogs that I backed up from Google Reader before it became inaccessible. I'll dig it up tomorrow and post a link if you'd like. I was in a game he ran of Stonehell, but couldn't keep up with the schedule at the time sadly. In terms of other lost OSR blogs, some of the collaborative stuff like The Black Ziggurat is lost forever.

    https://planetalgol.blogspot.com/2010/03/blackest-tesserzigguract.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That would be great if you could find them.

      There was much more cross-pollination in those days. Perhaps there still is and I'm just out of the loop.

      Delete
    2. That took me longer than I imagined. Here's everything I saved.

      https://privatebin.net/?db061cd3a44953bb#AJ3S7eoYkNotP5NuNedDhMuvYyZGrg2ZPtTP2FMMTcBY

      Delete
  10. Taichara of Hamsterish Hoard is still thinking RPG thoughts, and you can read them here: https://loneknight.dreamwidth.org/ And she's doing the RPG a Day think this month!

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is such a good list, thank you! I would add Beyond the Black Gate. his posts on Megadungeons were great.

    ReplyDelete
  12. David, considering your DnD in Fantasy Northumbria interests, you might enjoy Amanda Heitler's Drama, Dice, & Damsons with its DnD in Fantasy Yorkshire ("Mickelmerck"): https://dramadiceanddamsons.blogspot.com/search/label/Mikelmerck
    It's a a nice companion piece to Jeff Rients's "Fantasy Wessex" posts and I (personally) found Amanda's writing hugely inspirational for my own daydreaming about DnD in Fantasy Lancashire.
    Another Old School Blog that's been worryingly quiet for too long--although I think, in this case, I've found a more recent photo of Amanda online and proof of significant career changes.

    ReplyDelete
  13. And (sorry--I will stop after this one!) does anyone else remember CoopDevil's Fighting Fantasist? Now we only have the fragmentary remains on the The Wayback Machine: https://web.archive.org/web/20110819182059/http://fightingfantasist.blogspot.com/2010/04/british-osr-starts-here.html

    ReplyDelete
  14. This one is excellent, Towers of Krshal and the like, and still updates!
    https://worldofortix.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  15. Author of How to Start a Revolution in 21 Days or Less here -- today I write a couple of newsletters at https://www.simplermachines.com

    (Though these days I mainly write about software development -- I play a bit of Torchbearer now and then but I am mostly out of the game.)

    I also have a lot of nostalgia about that period. I started that blog when I was 16. Today I'm, uh, 35? I should probably post a pointer to my current work there but I'm actually kind of scared to look at it now.

    That blog was my first experience of being taken actually seriously by adults. It's also where I learned to do "networking on the internet" which turned out to be my most important professional skill -- there's pretty much a straight line between that blog and my current career.

    ReplyDelete