Friday 15 February 2019

Just Do It

I went through a phase, as a wee sprog, of wanting to be a writer, and so I read a lot of books on the topic of "How to Write". I stopped, though, and don't read those sorts of books any more, for the simple reason that they are a waste of time. There is no magic bullet for learning how to write well - you just have to practice at it, really hard, every day, and read as much as you can - and any of the other "advice" in those books is dreadful. Don't use adverbs! (Except all great writers do, just in the right amount.) Read the Chicago Manual of Style! (Except that, while good grammar is necessary, all the best writers know when and how to break the rules.) Show, don't tell! (Except when "telling" works, which it sometimes does.) Write about what you know! (Except if you're trying to write anything except autobiography.)

It's useless stuff served up to desperate dreamers convinced they just need to know how to make it. The only such book worth reading is Stephen King's On Writing, because although he does serve up some of those chestnuts, he mostly just describes his own process and emphasises that - yes - you just need to read and write (and rewrite) a lot. By doing so, you learn - in a totally atheoretical, experiential sort of a way - how to use adverbs judiciously, how to break the rules of grammar where necessary, and all of that jazz; it comes with experience.

(There is also a very short section of Ben Bova's How to Write Science Fiction That Sells that has always stuck with me, and which I think I have mentioned on the blog before: "If you want to be a writer, write. A writer writes.")

Likewise, I have also at various times attempted to learn how to draw, through buying books that promise me they'll help me do it. At best, they are just collections of activities to spur you to practice, and which would have no particular violence done to them by being summarised as: "Take a pencil and pad wherever you go and draw stuff when you can, at least once a day."

And that's not to mention songwriting; I am not a songwriter and do not aspire to be, but I am interested in songwriting and, again, the people you need to listen to are those like Glen Ballard, who once said in an interview that he's probably written over 10,000 songs in his life. Or Nile Rodgers, who says "I'm not a good writer, just a good re-writer." Or Gary Barlow, who in his early days used to go home after performing a concert and play more music. Or Paul McCartney, who will still be up writing songs at 1 in the morning.

You just have to do it.

This is a hard message to take onboard, because it forces you to confront the fact that you probably really have no excuses other than laziness and lack of moral fibre. All those hours of your life you've spent watching TV, mindlessly scrolling your Facebook news feed, or lying in bed reading a crappy paperback? You could have spent half of that time, a third of that time even, getting good at a craft of some kind. You didn't. You only have yourself to blame.

24 comments:

  1. Gathering up the initiative to create is one thing, but it's another matter entirely to get past the initial disheartening hurdles of of feeling talentless when your initial attempts don't produce the masterpiece you had in your mind.

    I struggled with this for a long time, and still do to an extent. Another lesson I had to learn is to keep no idea so sacred that I won't let it be destroyed and rebuilt during the (seemingly endless) revision process.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes - accepting self-criticism and just going with it is a really difficult thing to learn how to do.

      Delete
  2. I only wish I had the time to read crappy paperbacks in bed. And the hours spent in front of the TV is considered "quality time with the wife" in my household.
    ; )

    I agree with pretty much everything you've written here. While King's "On Writing" is the only book of its kind in my library (unless you count my university copy of Strunk & White), I've accumulated many "How to Draw" books over the years that simply accumulate dust on my shelves (along with a multitude of empty sketch books). Strange that my drawing has never really improved.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you, I needed to hear this.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Completely correct of course. What brought you to write this post?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am writing an academic monograph under contract while also trying to produce more creative RPG related stuff. Basically all I think about these days is writing.

      Delete
  5. Stephen King's book is good. Also Damon Knight's 'Creating Short Fiction' is good, Gene Wolfe name checks this book in his non-fiction supplement to the Book of the New Sun - 'The Castle of the Otter' which is itself a recommended book for the genre writer. Stephen Pressfield's 'The War of Art' is useful, his Gates of Fire is an excellent novel.

    Books on writing are better regarded as motivational than prescriptive. In general I find writer interviews or biographies more instructive.

    The real hurdle to overcome can be witnessed on TV Talent shows. IMO the OSR is full to the brim with such deluded individuals, which certainly includes the 'household names' of the execrable LotFP. Particularly with prose writing which is much more difficult than game writing, which by design makes ordinary folk feel like writers for a day, what are the feedback mechanisms, truthful with good judgement, to gently tell the aspiring writer to STOP or CARRY ON.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The pinnacle of contemporary popular fantasy fiction, GRR Martin and this chap Sanderson, I find unreadable. I love the genre but I won't read shit. If anyone wants an insight into the depersonalised gunge of the processed fantasy novel have a look at the factory fiction machinery below which I imagine gives an insight into how Hollywood manufactures its wonders. Writers need to decide if they are writing for the 95% of imbeciles on the planet for big bucks in which case they are businessmen, or for themselves and their peers in which case they are artists.

      https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLRO9W1Nmh6clZP-IAhMeMpMru7vJaW7KJ

      Delete
    2. Hi, Kent. I will take a look at the link - looks like interesting social anthropology if nothing else.

      Delete
  6. Jeff vanderMeer's Wonderbook is useful for a lot of reasons, including that it teached how to write some kinds of stories, but the book is only useful if you already know how to write.

    I have published several fictions books, including a novel which was awarded. But I don't know how to write novels. I wrote one. I did it in a trance, in a rush, in a single night. The year after I wrote it, I only edited and revised. But I don't know how to write novels, I haven't been able to write another, even a short novel of 60 pages. So it's been ten years since I wrote my only novel.

    Short fiction, on the other hand, it's possible.

    ReplyDelete
  7. My first novel will be coming out on April 30th.

    Do you know how I wrote it?

    I just did. I spent about three hours a day for three months and just wrote it and rewrote it and then it was done.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It’s nice to be asked. It’s called Western a Terminus. It’s a modern day thriller. You can see it on Amazon in kindle or dead tree.

      Delete
  8. Except for operating heavy machinery, most things are "do it (repeteadly)".

    ReplyDelete
  9. Saw a chat between Mary Beard and Philip Pullman on BBC2 last weekend (Front Row Late). Pullman stated he writes 3 sides of A4 every day and mused that 'habit has written more books than talent'.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm reading Slaughterhouse Five for the first time and I was so blown away by it because it's written like a big Mac and fries. The language is so simple. What's the big deal? What's his Vonnegut guy got that I don't? But I can't stop reading it! It's a hard book to put down and I realize it's because Kurt's story is so gripping and it's gripping because it's true (not true in a factual sense but true to human nature). The world doesn't give a crap if you're as terse as Hemingway or as flowery as Bradbury. You gotta write and it's gotta be true!

    As an aspiring writer your advice rings true to me. Habit makes progress. Even writing for just five minutes a day will leave you surprised at the end of the week. Small steps add up to big leaps and all that.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sensible advice. As is the recommendation to just do 5 mins a day on the habit you want to build. Good post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I try to do two hours an evening. Most nights I don't quite do that much but I do get a solid hour or more in.

      Delete
  12. I think I need to see this post. Thanks for that. I just hope I can commit to going through with it myself.

    ReplyDelete
  13. No truer words have been spoken on this topic.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I mostly agree. You have to do the work but... This>

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=epZoc6UiW0s&list=PLez8jOvskc-Po1qs7MvZnWP04Tw_ioWvK

    ReplyDelete