Monday 11 December 2023

The Sunday Seven: 10th December 2023

Each Sunday, I share seven links to items of interest that have crossed my eye across the preceding week. Here are this week's:

  • Ben Gibson, of Coldlight Press, is hosting an Adventure Site Contest, closing date on January 31st. Details are here; it has actual prizes!
  • I need new gaming systems like I need a hole in the head, but Errant, which, I quote, is 'rules lite but procedure heavy', sounds like an interesting proposition.
  • There is a great trove of real life cave maps available at cavemaps.org; usefulness varies, but inspiration is everywhere.
  • The Yellow Book of Brechewold bills itself as 'What if Jack Vance wrote Harry Potter as a sequel to TH White’s The Once and Future King?'
  • Games Workshop's share price took a hit recently (after years of barnstorming performance) on news of lower-than-expected licensing income; buy buy BUY!!!*
  • The Fighting Fantasy Project is a collection of fan-made Fighting Fantasy books which you can play online. I cannot vouch for quality, but you had me at 'A Strange Week For King Melchion The Despicable'
  • Brace yourselves... 6th edition is coming.

*Never, ever take investment advice from me, under any circumstances whatsoever.

6 comments:

  1. I think I'm officially a grognard now. I haven't yet played 5e, nor do I plan to, let alone play One D&D. Call me a dinosaur, "Rip Van Gygax," whatever, but there are lots of systems out there and if I'm playing a true Dungeons and Dragons product, I'm playing 2nd Edition.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, me too, although I did run a 5th edition campaign. I didn't dislike it - the system works well - I just prefer what I'm used to. Must be getting old!

      Delete
  2. Bounced off pretty hard from Errant, even if I backed it when it was funding. I can't wrap my head around such a catchy and dishonest marketing headline, whilst presenting a PDF file clocking 240 pages...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I mean it says it’s procedure heavy in its tag line. It’s a fun book: rules for everything you can use or ignore. The core game is light, but not that light. The classes are all meaty.

      Delete
    2. Interesting. I sense a review coming on....

      Delete
  3. Thanks for the Fighting Fantasy Project shout out, it's maintained by an awesome guy called Andy Spruce. Both the Diamond Key and Outsider! adventures are worth looking at, along with many others. :-)

    ReplyDelete