Thursday 2 July 2009

The Beasts from the Holes of Làhàg

Làhàg is famous for its pits - huge holes, up to a mile across and two hundred yards deep, which plunge down into the forest floor. Their floors are carpeted with jungle vegetation, and their walls are lined with caves which, it is said, link together under the surface of the earth in a vast labyrinthine network.

Strange beings -
unable or unwilling to climb to the surface - lurk in the holes and in the caves which link them. They are nameless entities without discernable language or culture. They create nothing and have no apparent emotion. They exist only to eat, which they do with reckless abandon - anything living which comes into the holes is attacked and devoured unless it is strong or fast enough to escape.

The sage ¡Yi Klu of the Explorer's Cult did much work to study the beasts - until they brought about his end. His journal was taken back to the Cult's library by his assistants, where it is still very occasionally read. He describes the beasts as "somewhat like a fanged frog, somewhat like an octopus, and somewhat like a man, though with a cruel and uncaring nature all of their own."

The Beasts from the Holes of Làhàg

Armour Class: 5
Hit Dice: 2+2
Move: 150' (50')
Attacks: 1 bite, 2 tentacle
Damage: 1d6/1d4/1d4
No. Appearing: 2d6 (2d12 in lair)
Save As: F1
Morale: 9
Treasure Type: Nil
Intelligence: 7
Alignment: Chaotic
XP Value: 25

5 comments:

  1. Great stuff, as usual. Yoon-Suin is probably my favorite setting in development on the blogs right now.

    You know, the format of these entries just begs to be collected into an "Encyclopedia of Yoon-Suin."

    I'm not the sort that thinks every blog needs to be monetized and published (though that's fine, too), but an encyclopedic, alphabetized setting bible would be very useful for play. I might throw one together for personal use if I found myself planning to run a Yoon-Suin game.

    I've been thinking about doing something similar with rainy city posts at some point, mostly for my own use. But something like this could also be easily shared as a google doc, so if I make a rainy city one, I'll probably go ahead and share it. I'm just getting to the point where rainy city has enough NPCs that it's getting hard to keep track of them all in play.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the idea of an "Encyclopedia of Yoon-Suin"

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is definitely one cool setting. You should really publish it. (I know I would buy it).

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks, guys. I am very slowly compiling a set of pdfs for release, though I'm still unsure about the format it'll take.

    I love the idea of an Encyclopedia of Yoon-Suin, with the conceit that it has been compiled from accounts of adventurers, explorers, philosophers and scientists from that world. In fact it strongly motivates me to go that route.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Encyclopedia? Hell yeah! Both y'all!

    ReplyDelete