Tuesday 9 January 2024

Implied Magic, No Magic, Low Magic, Fake Magic

I mentioned in a previous post that I am currently reading The Masters, the first volume in the reworked Stone Dance of the Chameleon series. I vaguely remembered the original iteration of these books (then a trilogy) coming out at the end of the 90s, and I think I read bits of it, but this is something of a director's cut - if by that we mean a redux version that has more volumes (seven) but is actually slimmer and more efficiently told.

I have been impressed by it so far - indeed, it has kindled within me the fire of enthusiasm for the fantasy genre, which I have not felt lo these many years. Fantasy's great sin has been its derivativeness of Tolkien (which manifests even in hostile responses to Tolkien's work, such as those by Moorcock, Harrison, Mieville, and so on); Pinto has I think managed the much rarer feat of copying Tolkien's approach without borrowing any of his furniture, even to react against - a thing which only a very small number of fantasy authors have been able to convincingly achieve. 

Gene Wolfe is the obvious comparator here. I would not put Pinto in his class (though this may of course change as I read through the series), but the project feels to me to be similar: to create worlds which feel as Important and Resonant as Tolkien's Middle Earth, while being in all other respects only accidentally related. Pinto seems to have, whether intentionally or not, achieved this too, and it is in itself a feat worthy of respect - leaving to one side the fact that it is also a genuine page-turner from the start.

There is another point of interesting comparison: Wolfe's Book of the New Sun feels infused with magic (in that case, of course, very advanced technology) but it exists in the background as a kind of permeating force, rather than a plot point or distinct field of knowledge. The characters don't behave as if there is some discrete, identifiable phenomenon such as 'magic' or 'technology'; where it exists at all it is a seamless part of their experience of the world. In Stone Dance of the Chameleon, we get a similar, but even more muted, sense that there is probably something magical going on somewhere, but if it is, it is so natural and normal to the characters that they do not really think of it at all - as a fish does not particularly pay attention to decorative statues in its nicely filtered tank.

I like this type of setting, which I will call (I am not sure I have ever heard anybody name such a category) one with implied magic - implied because it never really comes out and makes the statement: 'A spell will now be cast!' 

It is different to the no magic setting, where as the name suggests there is clearly no such thing as magic at all. The Viriconium stories spring to mind here, as do quite a lot of Moorcock's, and also probably most of A Song of Ice and Fire's early volumes. There will be others, if I think hard enough. (Those Tad Williams books?) Here, it is often the case that having no magic is a statement of some kind - either a refutation of irrationalism or an insistence that the existence of magic pollutes the materiality of the fiction. It doesn't have to be that way, of course, and I have an abiding sense of attachment to the bits of A Song of Ice and Fire that read like a history of the Wars of the Roses happening on a different plane of existence.

The classic low magic setting is Tolkien's The Lord of the Rings, where magic is rare, treated with suspicion, and is hinted to be corrupting. Would one put the Sword of Truth series in this category too? There will, again, be others for those willing to put their thinking caps on. Here, again, it often seems as though the decision for magic to be 'low' is more than an aesthetic choice; it hints that something symbolic is being said about the nature of power.

I am not sure if I have ever come across a fictional setting in which all the characters believe that magic exists and has observable effects but it isn't in fact real (or in which the matter is never decided or made clear either way). This is true for RPG settings also, but could be interesting to experiment with: what if PC magic was all just a matter of legerdemain and bluff?

16 comments:

  1. It is definitely an interesting idea, though I cannot under any circumstances imagine running such a campaign. I'm running out of life.

    Thinking about it, I would say that I'm attached to the notion of magic in settings...even its ghost or its suggestion. My theory (and I accept that I'm going off piste here), is that mystery is a vital component of reality... or at least vital to its apprehension.

    I need this x factor in my games, for better or worse.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Warlock In Spite of Himself series has magic really be psychic powers, but I don't think that's quite the same thing.

    Some Guy Gavriel Kay books would meet the criteria, but since they're basically fictionalized history with the names changed I'm not sure it entirely counts.

    ReplyDelete
  3. In Arthurian trilogy written by Bernard Cornwell there is magic that contemporaries treat as real, but the reader can dismiss as not. I like this approach very much.

    ReplyDelete
  4. First couple of the river god books by Wilbur Smith come to mind. Set in ancient Egypt, the characters all completely believe in gods, magic and omens, but nothing explicitly supernatural happens at any point.

    I'm also surprised by your classification of the Bas-Lang books. I seem them as brimming with magic. The first book even features a classic D&D style rpg adventuring party, complete with magic items.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was also surprised by the mention of Bas-Lag being a "no magic" setting. The third book, Iron Council, has multiple different schools of magic like golemancy and elementalists.

      Delete
    2. Oh my god, that is so weird. I totally blanked the magic elements out of my memory. How did that happen? You are totally right. This could be early onset senility...

      Delete
    3. I have read the first River God book and loved it. Wilbur Smith doesn't get enough love in OSR circles.

      Delete
    4. I'd recommend the sequel, Warlock, if you enjoyed the first one, but stop before the third book, the Quest. It goes off the rails with that one, throwing out the no magic setting for explicit and powerful magic and a bunch of weird out of place sex stuff.

      Delete
  5. I bounced off The Masters after getting a couple chapters in. And this was the reworked version. I felt the pacing seemed really slow, and the prose wasn't captivating me either. Then again, I started reading it right after finishing Soldier of the Mist and Soldier of Arete, so anything I read after that may have seemed subpar after coming off that high.

    The worldbuilding did seem really intriguing though, so I may give it another try this year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Interesting. Yeah, nothing else is good after reading a Wolfe novel.

      Delete
  6. This does seem like a missed opportunity for TSR. I'm mostly thinking of the 2E era when they were into different settings. Having four settings defined by zero, low, med, and high magic would have differentiated them nicely and created a different feel to campaigns within.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Interesting post.

    I'm not sure The Lord of the Rings is *all that* low magic: we see quite a bit of active magic, whether in the form of enchanted swords (that glow blue!), pyrotechnic effects both decorative (in the Shire) and offensive (against the Wargs in Hollin), a magical dagger whose shard works towards the heart, enchanted doors, door-holding spells, magical duels ("the counter-spell almost broke me"), gate-breaking enchantments and - of course - a ring of invisibility (which also operates as a universal translation device - as in Cirith Ungol).

    Isn't it truer to say that Middle-earth is a magic-rich environment, but one in which magic performed *by mortals* (as opposed to elves and angels) is "rare, treated with suspicion and hinted to be corrupting"?

    Susannah Clarke's Jonathan Strange and Mr Norrell is an interesting case, in that it starts with a world in which magic is theoretical, legendary and apparently dead - but then reverses that. There's a similarity to A Song of Ice and Fire.

    From dim memory, some of Guy Gavriel Kay's novels have very low-magic, pseudo-Chinese settings in which people believe in magic and there are perhaps one or two ambiguous events or apparitions (a fox spirit in one, I think) that may or may not be 'real'.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Stone Dance of the Chameleon series is quite excellent, I particularly enjoyed the The Third God and its atmosphere is nonpareil, but attempts to place Pinto in the same boat as Tolkien or Wolfe will inevitably fail. There is a certain richness, a superabundance of inspirations and ideas in Tolkien and Wolfe that is not present here.

    ReplyDelete
  9. As for low magic: E.R.R. Eddison and the Well of the Unicorn come to mind, to say nothing of Morris's Well at the Worlds End. An example where magic is always kept 'deniable' would be The Chialchuite Dragon by Kenneth Morris, where it is all heightened states of being, prophecy, alignments, communion with higher powers.

    Attempts to remove magic from RPGs, in particular DnD, should be punishable by death. I have not seen attempts that do not also bring with them a massive reduction in complexity and richness. There's no reason you couldn't make a compelling medieval game without magic...but there's no compelling medieval game without magic.

    ReplyDelete