Friday 1 December 2023

Best Books of 2023

The greatest of traditions have a timeless quality that allows us to imagine ourselves inhabiting an unbroken chain of custom that goes back into the mists of the ancient past. And so it is with Monsters & Manuals 'Best Books of...' lists, which each year are keenly awaited by small, ruddy-cheeked children up and down the land, so that they can refer to it when deciding what to put on their Christmas lists to St Nick.

This year, the recommendations will be as follows. I limiting myself here to five books, as is the tradition; according to Goodreads - where I religiously review every book I read - I read thirty-three books in total this year, which I think is less than usual. I went back and forth over whether to include Beowulf, literally the last thing I 'read', but technically I didn't read it (I listened) and it was the subject of my most recent blog entry anyway (and will be the subject also of the next). 

So, in no particular order, the top five are:

1. Who Framed Colin Wallace? by Paul Foot. This, an account of the trial for murder of a British serviceman who blew the whistle on a 'dirty tricks' campaign by MI5 in Northern Ireland, has nothing whatsoever to do with the subject matter of this blog, but I thought the book was a great read and highly recommend it. From my Goodreads review:

I was swept up in this tale, which is written in an utterly absorbing way and which successfully builds a meticulously researched and argued case that Wallace was framed. The account of his trial in itself is absolutely superb - indeed, it's difficult to imagine a better example of a detailed dissection of court-room procedure in all of non-fiction. The book is marred slightly by the author's evident biases, which at times lead one to question whether he can have viewed the evidence dispassionately. But even if one does not agree with its conclusions, it's impossible to put down.


2. The Knight and The Wizard by Gene Wolfe (okay - I suppose I lied when I said this list would contain five books). I wrote a series of posts (beginning here) on the blog about The Wizard Knight after reading the series, and probably bored the pants off my readership through repeated references to it thereafter, but the fact of the matter is that great books sometimes have that effect - and these are genuinely Great Books. From my Goodreads reviews:

(The Knight) I read this almost 20 years ago and liked it, but second time around it has grown immeasurably in the telling, possibly because a middle-aged man can see within it themes which a younger man ignores or rejects. It is very much a tale about men and manhood, and I suspect quite alienating to female readers as a result, but there's nothing really wrong with that (I've got no problem with books being written by women for women) - and what it has to say about the subject is extremely important, counter-cultural and profound. 

(The Wizard) I am thoroughly prepared to accept that the first Act of this novel is too long and at times tortuous. This probably means I should give it less than 5 stars. But in a way the difficulty of that section is almost worth it for the emotional payoff of what comes after. Wolfe here achieves that rarest of things in contemporary fiction: a genuinely happy ending (who has the guts to try to write one of those these days?) that is thoroughly convincing and satisfying. In this respect, it reminded me a lot of TH White's The Ill-Made Knight, to which it makes an excellent companion piece.

3. Last Witnesses by Svetlana Alexievich. I am a huge fan of Alexievich's work but nothing could prepare me for the emotional body blow that comes from reading this book for the first time. Simply a retelling, in their own words, of the stories of people who had been children in the Soviet Union (chiefly Belarus) at the time of the Nazi invasion in 1941, it contains the full gamut of human experience across the spectrum - the depths of sorrow and despair, and the glory of hope and love, and all that lies between. An amazing, 'Best Books of a Lifetime" contender. From my Goodreads review:

The less said about some books the better, because they cannot be improved by another's words - only diminished. This is indeed the philosophy underlying all of Alexievich's work: that other people's stories must speak for themselves and could only be made worse by inserting the interviewer's perspective. This, in any case, is an unspeakably moving book - suffering on every page, but also survival and redemption. It made me understand the human condition better for having read it.

4. The Inheritors by William Golding. The short, terrible, horrifying, and disturbing tale of the meeting between a group of neanderthals and a group of homo sapiens, and of the passing away of one world and its replacement with the next. Somebody recommended in the comments to an entry on this blog that I should read this, and I'm very glad they did (it might even have been this guy); it changed my perspective on what fiction could be. From my Goodreads review:

A great novel will make you understand human nature better, and in a different way. This novel is very great, because it does this with stark purity by forcing us to confront humanity from the outside, as it would be perceived by minds that are not our own. This is an achievement that truly merits being labelled a work of genius. That it is also a work of great lyrical beauty and terrible tragedy makes that achievement more unlikely, and more impressive still.

5. Now We Are Six by A A Milne. Is this cheating? I suppose it might be cheating. But I deeply enjoyed the experience of reading the poems in this collection to my eldest child, over and over again, during the course of the year. To the adult ear there is something truly magical about the rhythms and cadences of Milne's; one rarely ever reads poetry nowadays, really, and when one does one tends to read pretentious and impenetrable stuff like Pablo Neruda or free verse like Raymond Carver. Milne set himself an altogether different task: picking a meter (sometimes quite a complex one), sticking strictly to it, and communicating clearly and effectively - and beautifully - while doing so. This is enough to inspire one to try it oneself. From my Goodreads review:

These poems must be read out loud (ideally to one's son or daughter) in order to appreciate the sonorous cadences of AA Milne's verse. Things have changed in the last 100 years; what was expected of the reader in terms of poetic literacy were much higher in 1927, and some of the rhyme structures and rhythms strike the modern ear as genuinely complex. This makes the book all the more useful in communicating to a child the beauty of the English language deployed well.


*

A funny year, in retrospect, in that I read almost no SF or fantasy (Gene Wolfe excepted, and unless you count The Inheritors), and read very few books that really had me properly hooked - I noted down quite a few two- and three-star reviews. But the ones that I loved, I really loved. 

Do feel free to leave your own lists in the comments - I can never have enough recommendations for good reading material.

19 comments:

  1. I've had a *horrible* year for reading - though a quiet end to the year gives me a chance to remedy that somewhat. My standouts have been Simon Raven's Alms to Oblivion sequence (like a depraved Anthony Powell with touches of Waugh and odd genre lurches - into folk horror in the first book) and Isaac Babel's Odessa stories.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I read a ton of books, probably helped by going on retirement/sabbatical from June onwards here in Bangkok. Really enjoyed a pile of sci-fi books by Adrian Tchaikovsky - the Children of... trilogy (which have lots of the concepts explored by philospher/biologist Peter Godfrey-Smith in his Other Minds and Metazoa non-fiction science books), the first two books in Tchaikovsky's Final Architecture series (good space opera fun and my new post-Iain M Banks go-to), and finally his Dogs of War/Bearhead bio/nanotech near future duology. Also read Jeff Vandermeer's post-apocalyptic Borne which was creepy and sad but very good, two Ted Chiang short story collections (Exhalation, and Story of Your Life) which were excellent, and Ernest Cline's Armada which was tedious crap. Non-genre, read Karl Taro Greenfeld's Triburbia about men of a certain age in Tribeca, New York, (drawing on some of his previous work from his time as a New Journalist in Asia before and after the first bubble collapse in 1997), and finally finished Lunar Park by Bret Easton Ellis (which was funny and weird but not as good as some of his other efforts). Football literature-wise, read Jonathan Wilson's latest opus Two Brothers about Jack and Bobby Charlton (both now RIP), and England legend Kelly Smith's autobiography Footballer: My Story, both of which are great, plus Expected Goals by Rory Smith (author of Mister) about the football data analytics revolution. Currently struggling through Noise by Daniel Kahnemann (informative but really really boring), Moby's second memoir Porcelain (full of self-loathing and not as good as Morrissey's autobiography, which I surprisingly really liked), Dune (which I've never read), plus forcing myself to read a page a day of Infinite Jest. Satan help my soul.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jonathan Wilson is a funny one. I liked his contributions to the football podcasts I used to listen to (Second Captains, Guardian Football Weekly) but find his prose interminably dry and, well, prosaic.

      Delete
    2. Yeah, I got to his prose first via Inverting the Pyramid (first edition) and then discovered the podcasts later, but totally understand. One of my day jobs was international school football coaching so I have read all of his books. Barcelona Legacy is his easiest read, but the Brian Clough biography and his first novel Streltsov are tough reads. Angels with Dirty Faces, about Argentinian football, is a long read but I found it rewarding, and The Outsider, about goalkeepers is cool if you're having to coach them. 'Pyramid' (any edition) is a classic of nouveau football lit. :-)

      Delete
  3. Glad you liked The Inheritors. It's a really unqiue book. I am the guy who recommended it in the comments (discussion on pre modern thinking or somesuch). I am not the guy linked.

    ReplyDelete
  4. the book that left the biggest impression on me this year was definitely Darryl, by Jackie Ess-- interesting that it's a book by a trans woman that feels deeply contrary to the sort of radical evangelism that pervades a lot of trans cultural spaces. (and ofc I do love me some rousing trans evangelism, but it's also good important to see criticism of that mindset come from within the community.) the prose is kinda artless but also breezy and functional, and it's ultimately a moving examination of, like, "failed masculinity" from someone who's clearly got a nuanced and complicated relationship with that whole concept. it's probably the first work of "trans lit" that I've read that's definitely written primarily for other trans people but that I'd still unequivocally recommend to anyone.

    ReplyDelete
  5. "And so it is with Monsters & Manuals 'Best Books of...' lists, which each year are keenly awaited by small, ruddy-cheeked children up and down the land, so that they can refer to it when deciding what to put on their Christmas lists to St Nick."

    Count me among them! - I picked up Book of the New Sun pt1 on your recommendation. Most interesting fantasy / sci-fi I've read in a long time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you liked it - part 2 is better yet!

      Delete
  6. By coincidence (?), what is for me the best and most horrifying war film ever made, Klimov's Come and See, is also about the Nazi invasion of Belarus through the eyes of a visibly aging (and not in a natural way) child.

    I don't read as much as I used to, currently paused in the middle of a bootleg audiobook Lord of the Rings on Youtube. I reread Swords of Lankhmar (the one with the rats), got most of the way through Anna Karenina before losing the book, read the final City of Brass novel by Chakraborty, and probably some others that don't as easily come to mind.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Come and See sounds great. Not a fan of Lankhmar, to be honest - just never grabbed me.

      Delete
  7. I had a few grains of wheat among a lot of chaff this year (self inflicted since I've been reading a lot of 60's and 70's S&S paperbacks). Three that stand out:

    1. Nifft the Lean by Micheal Shea - he started in fantasy with basically Vance fan fic but really developed his own thing with this book. A nice collection of novellas including two Infernos, a D&D style heist, and one that's a little uncategorizable. My copy didn't say it but after I found out it won World Fantasy Award and I would say well deserved.

    2. KaiLung Unrolls His Mat by Ernest Bramah - found this through Lin Carters Adult Fantasy. Its a series of nested fantasy Chinoiserie stories that feel a little like Vance before Vance (its pre-1920). Certainly not somewhere to get an accurate depiction of ancient China but great despite (or because of this).

    3. The Jade Enchantress by E Hoffmann Price - another Chinese inspired fantasy this time by a former Weird Tales author who wrote this in the early 80's (when he was also in his early 80s). It's not the most tightly plotted book but takes you a on an interesting ride and I think does come a bit closer to depicting an actual China.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great recommendations. I have a book of Bramah waiting to be read on my shelf! Picked up a first edition in a rare books shop last year. Glad to hear it is worth reading.

      Delete
  8. I wish I could find the mental fortitude to read more Svetlana Alexievich. I think I mentioned to you before that Secondhand Time (a "books of a lifetime" candidate for me) affected me so much that it was two years before I felt able to write about it. So much in that book which pertains to the current situation in Russia.

    Children's books, and poetry, are certainly not cheating. I find myself reading more and more of them the older I get, and the really good ones can be read on so many levels.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Same. Having children broke (or fixed) something in my brain, and there's a certain, specific kind of non-fiction horror that I no longer have the stomach for.

      Delete
    2. I was in floods of tears at times reading Last Witnesses. A truly great book.

      Delete
  9. Sorry to hear (read) that Lankhmar never grabbed you. Leiber's Fafhrd and the Mouser entertain me much more than Howard's Conan or ERB's John Carter--though I love them all!

    But Gene Wolfe really stands apart and above. Coincidentally to your reading Wizard Knight this year and then gassing on about Wolfe, I read The Fifth Head of Cerberus and On Blue's Waters (first of the Book of the Short Sun) over the Thanksgiving week, after a hiatus of a couple years after rereading The Book of the New Sun and reading The Book of the Long Sun all together in one stretch (I needed a break for something less dense). And I've been constantly referencing Wolfe in conversations with my wife for the past couple weeks (fortunately, she's a fan, after I cajoled her into reading tBotNS).

    I know I'll have to dive into the Wizard Knight after the Short Sun books; and if you haven't read the Fifth Head of Cerberus, it's worth the read, and one can do so in a day if dedicated (or obsessed? I couldn't put it down). It's a collection of three very Wolfeian and interrelated novellas, questioning ideas of self, imitation, mimicry, and all that, obviously later mirrored by Severian and Thecla, or the inhumi of the Long and Short Sun series.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I've been meaning to read some of Alexievich's stuff since I heard about Boys in Zinc. I think material like this is incredibly powerful. From Studs Terkel to something you mentioned recently, The Soft White Underbelly, this kind of writing almost always gives you a genuine piece of someone and has a kind of emotional authenticity and honesty that is profoundly moving (at least to me).

    If you have time, I would recommend Haruki Murakami's Underground, which your mention of Alexievich brought to mind.
    Underground documents the stories of survivors of the sarin gas attacks by the Aum Shinrikyo cult in 1995. I originally started reading it in early 2011. I had to put it down after the Tohoku earthquake - I just couldn't process any more of the collective trauma of the Japanese people at the time - but I came back to it when I was ready, a couple of years later. I love Murakami's short stories, but his novels can be a bit hit-or-miss for me. I had not read any of his nonfiction before this, and his essays and nonfiction have come to be some of my favorite work by him.

    At any rate, thank you for writing this up; I've read Now We Are Six (though it has been years!) but none of the others on this list, and they all sound fascinating!

    ReplyDelete