Tuesday 14 February 2023

Kickstarter/Publishing Lessons Learned

 


I am by no means the most prolific of one-man-band RPG publishers, but I have now run two successful Kickstarters and published, er, 4 or 5 things. This at least qualifies me to, if not give authoritative advice, at least rant semi-coherently in an extemporaneous way about the do's and don'ts of the matter. Perhaps some people will find it useful to do so.

  • Pricing. I err on the side of value for money, but I wonder if I am excessively Thomist about this. In the Hall of the Third Blue Wizard is around 200 pages of content for £15 in print; Yoon-Suin 2nd edition will be 400 pages of content for £30 in hardback; The Peridot's first issue is 80 pages long and £6 in POD. But nobody ever, ever, ever, comments favourably on this approach. Meanwhile, people seem to amass vast sums in Kickstarter backing for (to me) absurdly slim volumes at very high prices (e.g. £28, not including shipping, for a 48 page 'book', which I saw recently). It is useless to complain, so I do not do so - I merely offer the observation to people thinking about pricing a product.
  • Doing the packaging/shipping oneself. It is best not to if you have anything else going on in your life, like a real job and/or a family. It is feasible to do it, but comes associated with all kinds of unexpected ball-aches and hidden costs (like the printer delivering all the books to the wrong address, etc.). Best avoided if you value your sanity.
  • Doing 'pledge management' oneself. This is much more doable. The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing Kickstarter launchers they need pledge managers (or marketers for that matter). There has evolved a very complicated ecology of companies who are basically parasitic on the existence of Kickstarter; I am sceptical that many of them actually add value, though of course I could be proved wrong.
  • People will come out of the woodwork to give unsolicited 'recommendations' about how to do things; ignore them. (I'm aware of the irony of giving this advice in this form.) If they were such geniuses they would be doing it themselves.
  • Stretch goals are fine, but probably best limited to one achievable and relatively cheap thing. My stretch goal for IHOTB was an adventure I had already 80% written; my stretch goal for Yoon-Suin 2 was a piece of art by somebody I know is reliable and good and quoted a good fee. That's enough. If the core of what you are offering is good enough, have faith that it is.
  • Kickstarter's main benefit may be in advertising/promotion. A Kickstarter campaign provides you with what is essentially free advertising (well, almost free - you pay them 5%) for a month. This gets your product out there as very few other things can. Matters might be different if you have 10,000 followers on Twitter or whatever already, but almost no indie RPG publishing one-man-band has that, and the days when one could simply post something on G+ and receive endless reshares are sadly long gone.
  • Human nature being what it is, people like shiny, good-looking things. There is a monkey- or magpie-like acquisitive element of our nature that leads us to gather prettiness to our bosoms, no matter how superficial that prettiness really is. Have at the very least a nice, blingy cover. I learned this with the first Yoon-Suin. Yes, people liked the content, but only after being snared by Matt Adams' art. 
  • If you can write AND draw/paint then it is like having a license to print money, and if you can only do one of those things, it is might be worth practising really hard on the other so you can maximise your talent stack. Then again, what would David Ricardo say? I haven't made up my mind.
  • Drive Thru RPG is a terrible blight on all of our lives, and takes a really almost criminal cut of royalties, but in the end it is the only game in town when it comes to the PDF market, because that is where all 90% of your prospective customers are making their purchases. It is important to use it, because you will get 'window shoppers'. 
  • I could probably make a living doing this if I quit my day job and did two successful Kickstarters along the lines of Yoon-Suin 2nd edition every year. Make of that what you will.

21 comments:

  1. Another thing about Kickstarter is that they are incredibly good as cross-promoting stuff. Even if you do have 10,000 followers on Twitter, this amount of interest in your project will push it to the top of the Kickstarter ecosystem, meaning that it might get promoted to one of their top picks. Even without this, they seem to do a great job of recommending your project to people who have backed similar things. When I ran my first Kickstarter at the end of 2021, around 60% of my 325 backers came via the Kickstarter ecosystem.

    For that reason, I advise people against moving to other crowdfunding platforms (which loads of people did when Kickstarter announced their "move to the Blockchain - the figures show that they got badly burned).

    BTW Drive Thru is not the only game in town - I do much better business through itch.io, though most of the figures I've seen given by bigger publishers show s big advantage for Drive Thru. The itch audience skews more towards SJWs & Story Games (hey, that sounds like the name for a new RPG, SJW&S). Itch also do some incredible charity bundles - I recently snagged 1,000 games for, I think, around a tenner during their fundraiser for Ukraine. Whether or not you'd _want_ 10,000 games...

    ReplyDelete
  2. The final bullet-point was well-saved as the final bullet point. Would your or would you find satisfactory running two campaigns of this sort a year?

    Any thoughts on adding stretch goals deeper into the campaign vs. committing to them early? I saw you and KC do it in two manners at the same time, he at onset and you deeper in. Both succeeded.

    The post is appreciated. Where's my heart emoji.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The hell happened to my grammar?: *'Would you find satisfaction running...' (with the implied 'could you', given the energy drain, the content mash).

      Delete
    2. Hard to say. Being an RPG writer/publisher would be a lonely existence, right? I like people. But then again it would be good to be master of one's own fate. Hard to know!

      Delete
    3. I think the truth of my question is that I'd like to try. As you suggest, the bulk of the work is lonely, but recently I Kickstarted a fiction anthology with two others, and the camaraderie of building a world and leasing it to a well-designed object—it was quite fun together.

      It doesn't have the same zazz as Kickstarting my own book (this zazz likely derivative of the fear of failure and sense of responsibility being entirely on me) but that's alright, as the process leading up also took leaps less time and while not more enjoyable or less enjoyable, was passed in good company.

      I guess I'm just keen to see collaboration too, to see where I/one fits in the 'lets make a thing that didn't exist before' of RPG artifact creation. I want to see beautiful books that inspire minds the way they have mine. Collaboration seems a way off the couch, albeit with the truth of the matter that you don't have complete ownership. But if the ship is kept small...

      Dunno. Seeing Dungeon23 as a pretty huge opportunity to curate a few excellent mappers, writers, makers, together. Seeing you itch to move beyond Yoon-Suin in your various interviews. Seeing OSR step into a new chapter. Trying to understand where it came from, what it has lost, what it'll be.

      I sound like a very melancholic harp in the nook of a tree it managed to somehow climb into, don't I.

      My god. Fuck. Shit. Pock-blargs.

      Let's do this.

      Delete
    4. What's the fiction anthology? I'm curious about options for Kickstarting fiction boooks (as an editor/publisher rather than author).

      Delete
    5. It's called Haergrole. Trappings of noir, horror, and western. Plenty to say on the subject, but it depends on where your curiosity's darker corners lie. Rather than bore you wtih detail, the thing went well and we'll do another end of the coming year with intent to do more.

      If you ever want to come talk it over, we run a podcast called The Nudge. A low-key affair that's more of a conversation we've wanted to keep going since the pandemic about writing and editing when it's not our day jobs. Invite guests, talk over our own work, encourage pursuits.

      Delete
  3. I know you JUST said not to do this, but here is a recommendation: If you have a sentence like, "The satrap is secretly a bhoot and holds the spirit of the real satrap in a glass aviary." Then maybe I don't know which of those words is referring to an in-game thing or not. If there are stats for bhoot, put it in bold or something so I can be clued that I should go look that up in-book, but if I see that satrap is in regular type, maybe go hit the dictionary. Or maybe "glass aviary" is a cool in-game item from somewhere else in the book, italics/bold would let me know to look it up.

    Also, "Never let 'em see you sweat," pretty good advice for your list.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree with that, but is that an actual sentence in something I've written? It sounds like it could have been but I genuinely don't remember.

      Delete
  4. The sad truth is, if you made your kickstarter less respectable and more like everyone else's, you could probably make *more* money and get by on only one each year.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Look, man: the purpose of Thomism isn't to maximize monetary *or* reputational rewards.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, 'man'. I was talking about Aquinas's writings on fair pricing.

      Delete
    2. I know, McDude. I was referring to the sentence "But nobody ever, ever, ever, comments favourably on this approach", as should have been obvious from my making no effort whatsoever to indicate it. I'm just saying, getting others' approval isn't really the deal with Thomism. GOD will reward you for your fair pricing at a later date (TBD).

      Delete
    3. Fair enough! That makes sense.

      Delete
  6. As someone who kickstarter labels a "superbacker" a significant number of the products I get are under 20 bucks. Price is a significant decider for me, especially since I've been trying to cut back on kickstarters lately. If I see something cool for 10 or 15 bucks it's a lot easier to just throw my money at it. Bigger projects(like ose or Yoon Suin) I take a while to decide and go back and forth before actually backing. I almost didn't back yours, but finally did because of the low price point. So take from that what you will.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is some seriously good advice. I'll be considering it closely, since I've been wondering for some time how to navigate this odd little jungle of digital publishing for gamers. Many thanks.

    ReplyDelete